View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 09:29 AM   #47
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
My plan was to sing and play at the same time, I like the idea of a 'live' recording. But I'll play around with doing them separately as well, it's certainly easier to just do one thing at a time! I feel like my timing is a little better when I do them together though.

I'm thinking of doing both acoustic and electric versions as well just to see which sounds better.

This all seems super exciting to me, I wish I started this a long time ago!
If your acoustic has a 1/4 plug in, I would plug it into your interface and they position the mic closer to your face and it will pick up your guitar in the background and the ambience of the room, while you get a solid guitar only track.

The other way you can do it is to record your guitar and sing and the same time but position the mic right on your guitar and sing as softly as possible, then make a new track and sign karaoke to this combo recording. ( this way is my preference when I am recording this way, because they I can go back and piece together a compilation of my best vocal takes.

Even if you're recording both at the same time I would layer that one recording. When I do, I like to make 3 copies of the track and EQ them each a little differently, and pan two of them a little left and a little right to make it sound thicker.

I want to say there is nothing wrong with recording both at the same time, but just know it isn't always easier. When you do both at the same time you need to nail both, and it can be frustrating because you're playing as well as you can but you stutter on a lyric, or your vocals are perfect but you hit a sour note somewhere in there. People multitrack because you can add and and take out whatever parts you need. ( though if you go this route, you got to learn to play to a click).

I guess one thing we forgot to mention is a pair of headphone is helpful. I wouldn't worry too much about how good they are, unless you want 100% clean perfect mix.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post: