View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 10:59 PM   #285
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Then I think you’re inadvertently making my point. The last rebuild took too long and the Flames had nothing to show for it outside of two trips to the second round (one very early). By the time they were actually close to being considered legitimate contenders, their two stars were ready to enter the final “big” contract of their careers.

At that point, you’re pretty much forced into retooling or starting over, which is what Florida, Edmonton, Colorado, and Tampa Bay all had to do.

If this team is going to win a cup without having to go through this exact same thing within the next 6-8 years, they’re more likely going to do it in 4-5. We should expect a contender in 4, at very least, or face reality.
I tend to agree that you don't want this to go on too long or it starts creating it's own self fulfilling narrative.

That's why it's so important to not waste your playoff misses and actually get those early picks when you're out of it.
We're two years out of playoffs now with a 16th oa and 9th oa (probably..) to show for it.
Ending up with another early teens pick next season and losing it to the Habs would be really tough for this club.

If you can get to the bottom for 2 years, get some early picks and then get back in the mix quick, that's ideal.
It's a really tricky balance to hit though and we're not trending well so far for it.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote