View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 10:50 AM   #17
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
That's insane. You guys are getting screwed. Where I live we have two buildings, two gyms, indoor rinks, outdoor rinks, outdoor pool, skate park, tennis courts, cricket pitch, multiple playgrounds, wading pool, ping pong tables, landscaping around the community, programs, and staff, etc. Your tax dollars pay for it.
Hillhurst by chance? Just guessing based on what you've listed, especially the cricket pitch.

It is difficult to compare directly though. Obviously we are all paying for "your" amenities though our taxes, and that is quite normal for older, established communities.

And to be honest, I don't know why or when that changed in Calgary. But I also know that Calgarians tend to prefer user fees vs. general taxation (and love to complain about both), and I can only imagine the noise if a lot of these newer community amenities were passed onto all taxpayers like they were in a previous era.

I guess we're paying for it one way or another. Maybe I'm just old school, but I'd rather have abundant public amenities than pseudo-private HOAs like this. But here we are.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 04-22-2024 at 10:52 AM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote