View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 08:59 PM   #1
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Homeowners Associations in Calgary

I didn't know if I should include this in the YYC Politics thread or start another. If it belongs somewhere else we could merge it.

I am wondering about Homeowners Association fee's and management for a community, in this case almost exclusively single family homes with a small amount of condos. These are not condo fee's for a building.

Normally my HOA fee's are approx $150 a year and I don't think too much about it, the cost of being in the area. The neighborhood doesn't really have any amenities so to speak that isn't considered managed by the city. It's located in West Springs in Calgary.

The AGM is coming up and I have never really attended in person, looking at some of the costs for the HOA they are reasonable, a few questions about a few other things. My concern is with the management fee being paid to Simco Property Management. Approx $17k management fee for $49k in revenue, almost 35%.

The area has a small blvd with some plants, flowers, tree's etc, a welcome sign and not much else. Those are costs paid for by the HOA.

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but what would the management company really be managing in this scenario in an area like this? There isn't amenities, snow removal etc. I don't see what area they would be effectively managing in any meaningful way that the city wouldn't be responsible for.

Anybody with community board, HOA or management experience be able to assist? It's not a financial concern as the fee has been paid for 24 years, just wondering what I and everybody is really getting outside of a small bed of flowers and a redeveloped welcome sign after 25+ years.

I don't like to criticize volunteers too much but the management fee seems excessive for what may be done. I will bring it to the boards attention at the meeting but wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

Thanks!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote