View Single Post
Old 04-20-2024, 04:43 PM   #34
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do all the cooking in our household.

The specialty I make most of the time are cabbage rolls (Polish and Ukrainian varieties). Out of all the things I make, it's the one I am most proud of because my friends and sister usually get me to make them around holidays and they actually stand-up to the ones my mother and baba used to make. I learned through trial and error that you don't want a cabbage that is too hard or under ripe. It took a long for me to master it and figure out the perfect recipe. Dill is the secret ingredient, which I actually learned from Jenny Jones... lol. If you like Polish food, she has some great recipes.

I also make a lot of meat loaf. I like making meat loaf because it is really easy, versatile, and you can get a few good meals without needing to invest a lot of time. There are so many different combinations, but the process is pretty much always the same. I recommend this a lot of my younger friends who go out a lot to eat or are intimidated my cooking. I also make a lot of homemade hamburgers, usually with the left over meat that doesn't fit into the meat loaf. Again, dill is the trick.

A couple of times a month, I will also make a big pot of soup in the slow cooker. The one I make the most often is vegetable chowder with bacon.

For day-to-day, I typically stick to pretty easy stuff, like marinated pork chops and chicken. I learned to make my own marinades with the most common ingredients being apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, pepper, honey, dark soy sauce, garlic, and Italian herbs.

I also make a Chinese style fried rice quite often, it's a good way to use up extra rice in the fridge before it goes bad.

A few times a year, if I can find ground lamb on sale, I make homemade ćevapčići. It's hard to find kajmak where I live though, but I have a stockpile in my freezer for now. I recommend Macedonian ajvar.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-20-2024 at 11:21 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote