View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 04:27 PM   #1612
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund and Conroy both mentioned legacy after Backlund was re-signed.

I am sure that winning a cup would be first on his list, but you can go cup chasing and never get close, like Iginla. So the next greatest thing for Backlund would be to finish off his legacy here in Calgary. It is not nothing, that's for sure. It is probably a lot more than what Gaudreau will accomplish in his career when everything is said and done. If Gaudreau doesn't win a cup in Columbus, then who will really remember him when his career is over? It is likely that his best years on his stats would be his Calgary years. He had 19K fans chanting his name often during his career. He would have climbed up those franchise records and eventually would have even had his jersey retired when everything was said and done. All of that is gone for Gaudreau unless he can deliver a cup to Columbus. He will otherwise be more or less forgotten about as the years pass after he retires.

Backlund spoke to a number of players about it before he signed, including Giordano and Iginla (I vaguely remember him mentioning Iginla, but maybe I am wrong). I am sure if there was a guarantee of him picking his spot and his spot actually winning the cup, then of course that's what he would choose. However, I think the choice for him was either a substantially less than 50% chance (to say the least) of winning a cup or finishing your career off in Calgary being the captain of the only team you have ever played for. He chose the latter. I can't imagine that he changes his mind now.

There is something special about having played a long career with only one franchise. You simply just rarely ever see it now, especially if you are not a superstar player.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote