View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 10:34 AM   #65
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Speaking of Flames rebuilds/retools, I wrote a large column over at Daily Faceoff today about what the Flames are facing (and how they don't currently have a core):

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/th...is-years-draft
I certainly agree with the conclusions. This will likely take a number of years to bounce back. My only quibble is this paragraph:

Most of the other teams in the draft lottery picture this year have blue-chippers at the forefront of their systems. Columbus has Adam Fantilli; Montreal has Juraj Slafkovsky; San Jose has Will Smith; Arizona has Logan Cooley; Anaheim has Leo Carlsson; Chicago has Connor Bedard. The Flames don’t, and they’ll probably have to make a top-three pick to get one. Barring an unexpected lottery win, they won’t pick in that range this year.

Blue-chippers, sure, but they may not be "core" players (apart from Bedard) which is the measuring stick you are using for the Flames. The Flames have never had a top 3 pick, but they have had core players, so they can be obtained through other ways. It will still take time (at least 5 years in my opinion).
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote