View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 07:22 AM   #18784
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you were wondering if Smith would use the Critical Infrastructure Defence Act against the highway protester, well, LOL, of course not.

Quote:
According to Cochrane RCMP, obstructions are expected to continue today,” she told the premier. “Is the province at all considering using the Critical Infrastructure Defence Act, and is there any direction being given to the protesters to move to where they don’t constrict these economic corridors?”

“Well, look, let me give that direction,” Ms. Smith responded sharply. (Pay attention when Ms. Smith begins a response with an introductory “Well, look.” It’s usually a sign that a whopper is about to land.)

“I don’t support it when Extinction Rebellion glues themselves to the street and stops traffic, and I don’t support anyone stopping traffic as well. You can protest. Do it at the side of the road. Don’t interfere with the movement of goods. Don’t interfere with the movement of your neighbours. It’s the reason why we have the Critical Infrastructure Act, and I would just ask people to be compliant with the law.”

Quote:
“I just wanted to follow up on a previous question there, premier,” said the reporter from The Canadian Press when she got her chance. “You just said in regards to the Critical Infrastructure Defence Act that you would just ask people to be compliant with the law. Can you just tell us, yes or no, whether you’re willing to use that act to quell these protests if they continue to affect highway traffic?”

Premier Smith trotted out a similar talking point, with an addition. “As you know, police make their own decision on arresting decisions,” she said sourly. “That’s not a decision for a premier to make.”
https://albertapolitics.ca/2024/04/d...st-her-allies/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote