View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 01:29 PM   #1968
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'll have to assume you just aren't aware of the issues, that doesn't mean they don't happen.

You can have a look through the Tesla model S battery forums if my word isn't enough.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/foru...-charging.109/

There are companies that exist to refurbish and replace dead Tesla battery packs. So I don't really understand how you say it isn't a thing.
I didn't say batteries don't get replaced, I said "sudden battery death" wasn't a thing. the 12v batteries can suddenly die, but that happens in every type of vehicle. Foe EVs, the 12v battery is what powers all the software and non traction electronics and is recharged by the high voltage battery. Telsa has removed most manual controls and if the 12v battery dies you can't do almost anything. But that's a unique issue to them and has nothing to do with the EV battery.

And yes, batteries get replaced in old EVs if the range has dropped too much or in the case of the leaf where a new battery doubles therange from even what you originally purchased. If you buy a 7 year old Model S from Arizona that the owner charged at the supercharger all the time and charged to 100% all the time, you might need to replace the battery. But you check that fairly easily before buying
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote