View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 11:31 AM   #11525
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I hate this arguing about whether people come out ahead or behind with the carbon tax. The point of the tax is to make carbon-based fuel more expensive so we use less of it. By rights it should be $1.00 a litre or more. Right now we’re in the boiling the frog stage where we feel a little warm but nowhere near as hot as it’s going to get.

If someone doesn’t like paying it they should drive less or get a more efficient vehicle. The fact that there is a rebate at all is a nice bonus.
In theory I'm okay with taxing the #### out of people when it comes to carbon tax because we are a pretty efficient family but I also realize we are a lot more privileged than many people in Canada who can't easily change vehicles or fuel sources and taxing them to be more green is not an appropriate solution. Just look at what has happened in the maritimes this winter with tax on heating oil, the outcry and subsequent carve out for them.

Does it makes sense to relax the carbon tax for the people who use the dirtiest heating source just because they are crying about poverty and hardship? Hell no but I also know that retrofitting a new heat source into an old home is very costly even with $10,000 government subsidies.

At some point we have to come to the conclusion that demanding more and more from the citizens here means that we end up in a worse place and not actually better off despite ideological benefits.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 03-30-2024 at 11:33 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post: