Thread: [PGT] Blues 5, Flames 3
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2024, 01:24 AM   #85
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I haven't the faintest idea of how this minor leaguer Knoblauch is getting the best defensive systems play out of that group that has shown in the McCoaster era. None of it adds up, especially with the alleged locker room noise around Kane/Draisaitl. They should be more run and gun and disorganized than ever.

They'll still be bested by good teams at even strength, but the way that group has limited damage against is perplexing. It's certainly not in their organizational culture as you say.

I'm going to go with "just an illusion" which will crumple in a few weeks like clockwork.
Partly, of course, they've been riding a hot goalie. And part of it, of course, is luck: you don't get a 16-game winning streak without being lucky.

But I think a lot of it is that they've imported coachable players who got their experience in better organizations than the Oilers. Hyman was already 29 when he signed in Edmonton, Foegele came from a winning system in Carolina, Janmark came through Dallas and Vegas, Derek Ryan was a wily old defensive forward (as Flames fans knew). On the blue line, Ekholm learned everything the Predators had to teach him about defensive play.

In the process, the Oilers became one of the oldest teams in the league. They benefited from the experience of better organizations by importing their veteran players. The homegrown stars (plus Kane) still have the same 10-cent heads they always had, but they're reinforced by guys who know enough to buy what Knoblauch is selling.