View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 03:15 PM   #423
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Centers carry so much more value. You just look at how the Flames have coveted a guy like Mercer. If you stock your system with centers and don't have room for all of them they will fetch far more via trade than wingers down the road. If the Flames were picking 8th and took Iginla I wouldn't be upset about getting the player but I wouldn't be thrilled about the value at that pick as it's like taking a RB in the top 10 when some really good QB's, tackles, and edge rushers were available.
...you switch to the NFL a lot in your analogies.

You're also repeating very surface level things now in two sports when it comes to position value. We all agree. You're also completely ignoring pedigree as the indicator it is for picking a player that will play in the NFL or NHL.

If a draft pick had a Father that played at the highest level, it's more of an indicator that pick has a chance of playing in the NFL or NHL than what position they play in junior or college.

If we want to win it all, we need top level skill at 10 positions...and we have 5+ openings to fill. Unfortunately we tried to make the playoffs this year until the players / play forced trades, so we're not in the top 5 of the draft where you can find a QB / WR or whoops I mean top C. So yeah we need to go BPA, Tij Iginla has the tangible asset value to be in our range as a scoring winger with the best pedigree we could ask for. Don't overthink it because you need a centre.

If you need a centre, go pick a 6ft guy with skating that needs work in the 2nd round. There are 1st line centres in every round.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post: