View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 12:21 PM   #328
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Anyone who's been through relative highs and lows of fitness / strength knows that being stronger / trimmer / fitter simply feels better and can affect your mood, confidence and overall feeling of well-being.

It seems too many posters are hung up on the word "manly" - which OldDutch never used in the context of describing himself or how he feels - when they should instead be focussing on someone here sharing something they've done that has resulted in a positive change in their life and what others can take from that.

GordonBlue's take was terrible and it's ridiculous that it's lead to this tangent, all from a "good news" post in a thread that could use more of that...
Well, part of it is clearly based on this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I fell for the modern take that anything manly is wrong.
Which isn’t really “real” and does present the question of what, exactly, we’re talking about when we talk about “manly,” especially considering OldDutch was the first person to mention the word were apparently too hung up on. And I think it’s a valid question to ask, especially when rejecting the supposed societal opinion that “anything manly is wrong” is part of the “recipe” for turning your life around.

I think it’s important to break that down, especially in this thread of all places. I doubt very much I’m the only person who sees someone having done well for their own outlook and happiness and wants to dig deeper into the mindset or process behind it than platitudes about manliness.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote