View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 05:47 AM   #98
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
That's Don Cherry 100%. If anything, you might have gone easy on him. A LOT of things were done years ago don't look great but that goes for everybody in HOF, out of it, in business, politics, you, me and everybody.

If we only look at things from today's lens and apply them to players/coaches/management/ownership from years ago, it becomes a disaster and literally NOBODY get's in and almost everybody should be removed from the Hall.

My Flames seats were next to the penalty box. If you heard what players said to fans, refs, players and coaches and more, people would cry. These people are in the Hall and are going to the Hall in the future when their careers are over.
I’m in agreement there that you can’t look at these guys with today’s standards. He was allowed to say chicken Swede on tv is what I remember as a kid. lol. Times were different. I have no doubt he was insensitive when he threw out “you people” but that’s in hindsight sort of on the cbc for not phasing out the guy over the years when society was going one way and he was prone to these slip ups. Anyway, I do think he was a huge part in people tuning into the game so fully deserves to be in the builder category. In fact Ron and his hokey shtick does too. I’ve been a Ron fan over the years but he’s cringey when he tries too hard with his Canadiana silliness. But as a pro he’s good. I’m sure you ask any journalism student in sports who they look up to it’s him. With respect to him throwing Cherry under the bus, he was in a tough place. Cherry got enough warnings and was getting up there in age that he himself was a ticking time bomb. Ron covered for him for years. How some Canadians expect him to go down with the ship is silly. Ron did fine at the time. It’s just an unfortunate set of events for a couple icons to have a tarnished legacy.

That clip from last week was so ridiculous though. Not sure what Ron was thinking.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote