View Single Post
Old 03-21-2024, 11:10 PM   #79
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
No, this is all about the money. No expert is advocating for inclusive education to this degree. But it does have the benefit of being cheap as well as having the side benefit of making everyone in public education look bad and whiny. It's all a formula to achieve the exact sentiment you just expressed. Crazy to see it work so well.
I'm a pretty involved parent and I fought the school aggressively on the out-of-control boy in my kids class. As a family we care about public education more than average I suspect (my wife is a teacher). I'd definitely have been inclined to just say screw it and pay for private school. I can definitely see where he lost ground academically compared to his older brother that year.

But if enough people do that it pulls out the kids without complex needs from the public system, making the system average more difficult. It's probably also the higher income/higher education/more likely to volunteer and support fundraising parents that you're losing.

Not having appropriate discipline for kids who are out of control absolutely has the potential to wreck public education. And to be clear, I don't think that is the fault of the teachers. In this case I pushed very hard and the teacher privately agreed with me (before going on stress leave) but school and district administration refused to do anything.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote