View Single Post
Old 03-04-2024, 01:28 PM   #1207
GKDarts
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I watched him very closely in the first Wranglers game and came away impressed. Just a very efficient player. Clean breakouts, calmly taking away lanes, stick positioning, etc... I didn't see the physical side of his play but he doesn't shy away from contact.

Also, the no-offense part of his game I feel is a little overstated. He'll pick up secondary assists based on his breakout passes and is not afraid to pinch when needed. I think points will eventually come around.

I don't see someone as smooth as Tanev from a skating standpoint.

A closer comparable, IMO, after watching only one game is Niklas Hjalmarsson.
Pretty close to my impressions as well. Only point I disagree on was skating. I think he's every bit as good a skater as Tanev and maybe better.

Just came across as a super smart positional player who uses his position and thinking part of the game to give himself the best chance at success. Stood up as well as could be expected even when grossly outsized by 6"6 230 lb Riley Tufte parked in front of the net or fighting for a puck in the Wrangler defensive zone.

Not much on the offensive side but encouraging that his one opportunity was a competent on-target slapper 5" off the ice in a perfect spot for a deflection.

Evident that the coaching staff liked what they were seeing as he saw more critical ice-time as the game wore on.

I wish he was 20lbs heavier and an inch taller...looks a bit small and slightly too much like Flame "not so great" Nik Borschevsky, who I remember most for almost having his torso severed from his hips in a game against the Canucks. Nik was pretty meek before then but that hit finished him off.
GKDarts is offline   Reply With Quote