View Single Post
Old 02-25-2024, 09:42 AM   #230
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
First, they paid him well to do it. Second, he was young and the team was projected to have the trajectory to possibly win multiple Cups. Third, he was a lot less assertive back then and I am sure he had pressure from those former Oiler legends. Fourth, they would give him anything he wanted and cater to his every whim.

I am sure he also felt an obligation to Edmonton as the team that drafted him to try and deliver a SC and with all the hype and pampering I am sure he wanted to. Now he has been through the ringer there and the end goal was always to play for the Leafs eventually. He is going to be able to walk away feeling like he did everything he could to win a Cup for Edmonton but now he has earned as a UFA his right to go play where he wants.
I also think that his camp didn't realize that could have signed a shorter deal for a similar AAV. The trend had been 8 year deals after the entry deal. But than the Matthews camp did a 5 year deal for close to max money.

If Drai isn't in L.A. I think Anaheim has been setting themselves up to take a run at him too. He'll be in So Cal for his next contract.