View Single Post
Old 02-16-2024, 09:17 PM   #43
Kaine
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I have a PB2000. Dying to know how you feel the performance and difference is with the second! Double the dB and SPL.
Not really a massive difference in terms of db, technically I believe 3db is the typical increase most rooms will see by adding a second sub. The main benefits to adding additional subwoofers is to prevent bass localization. Being able to pinpoint bass sources, not ideal and much more likely with lower frequencies which is why this is often a problem with subwoofers in general. For example if you can close your eyes while listening and tell what direction the bass is coming from, multiple subwoofers can assist in preventing this. This can happen in any room but is typically more of a problem in smaller or untreated rooms.

The second benefit which seems to apply more to larger rooms, is having a more even bass response at more points in the room. Picture sitting in the middle of a sofa vs either side. Having multiple subwoofers makes it much more likely the bass response will be even across the whole sitting area. Admittedly this is much less of a concern in a "single seat" room if you have only one chair or use a program such as DIRAC or other room correction software.

I only added the second sub when moving into the bedroom as you could tell exactly where the sub was located, the second sub greatly assisted with this but it is still noticeable. I wouldn't ever purchase a second sub to assist with db, you are far better off purchasing a bigger or more powerful unit, but adding a second sub certainly assist with a more even room response in the bass frequencies.

Wow sorry for the ramble, I don't get to talk audio often with my circle of people.

Last edited by Kaine; 02-16-2024 at 09:20 PM.
Kaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaine For This Useful Post: