View Single Post
Old 02-12-2024, 03:37 PM   #13
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

One anecdote from school a long time ago is that if a will kit is not completed properly then the court will consider it a holographic will, which just means a handwritten will. However, all the court will consider is the parts that are in handwriting, which, when you remove all the typewritten text, is just gibberish and the will will not be probated. I have understood it is better to just write out a will in your own handwriting expressing your wishes and sign and date it.

Another neat anecdote is the farmer who got trapped under his tractor. He used a nail to scratch out his will in the fender of the tractor and the court considered that a valid holographic will.

Hire a lawyer. Hours of aggravation vs. a couple thousand bucks? No brainer. Plus if they screw up you have a regulatory body to complain to, insurance to access and someone to sue. All good reasons to pony up. (edited to add: plus I am corporate counsel so I don't have to pay insurance so I say SUE EM ALL AND LET THE JUDGE FIGURE IT OUT!!)

Thus endeth my knowledge of wills and estates.

p.s. my wife and I did a proper will when my first daughter was born. We have not updated it and my second daughter who was born 4 years later is now 18. Oops.

Last edited by Titan2; 02-12-2024 at 03:39 PM. Reason: d
Titan2 is offline   Reply With Quote