View Single Post
Old 01-28-2024, 05:04 PM   #47
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Chychryn is a bit like Hamonic before the Flames got him. He's been hyped as a number one defenceman on a ultra value contract. In reality he's nowhere close to that and his contract dollar value is okay, but he's more the offensive type who can put up good point totals, but isn't particularly good defensively. I can see why they would want to add Tanev to their group as that trio of Sandrrson, Chabot, and Chychryn need a real leader. I think a lot of teams could use him to help stabilize their younger D cores, so maybe trading for him now to keep him off the market is the thought process.
I think he's a completely different D than Hamonic. I would compare him to Andersson, with Chychrun being a lot more injury prone. IMO Chychrun has the better shot, but Andersson creates more plays offensively. In fact, I think Chychrun just clocked a 107mph slapper in a Sens skill competition.

As far as Chychrun's defensive play, he generally has a good stick, a good gap, and he can use his body to separate forwards away from the puck. I think he sometimes gets caught in no-mans land when looking to generate offense, and if a forward manages to drag the puck past his stick check, then he gets passed Chychrun pretty easily.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post: