View Single Post
Old 12-20-2023, 06:47 PM   #384
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

LOL, who woulda thunk renting out incredibly dangerous, twitchy, tippy transportation devices to drunk people and seniors to ride in dense urban traffic wouldn't be a viable business to sink billions of dollars into.

I've seen 3 people go down on these things in downtown Calgary, and I might have spent a total of 5 days in Downtown Calgary the last 6 years. I live in Cochrane, and they have some off brand version of these things. I came up on one dude that apparently get smoked by a truck, and another kid in our community is now riding the short bus the rest of his life, after sustaining a life altering head injury just riding the thing on a community path. So that's 5 people I've seen injured on these things.

I've ridden motorcycles my entire life. And in my adult life of riding them in the street.... 33 years worth, I've witnessed 2 accidents riding in groups, one in a car, and one where I was run off the road and went down but got away with a busted ankle thanks to having good gear. So a total of 4 including myself. However mine was well worth the $75k plus a new bike the other guys insurance paid out..... A+++ would break ankle again.

At least with a motorcycle there's a large investment in it, training, commitment, proper gear (most riders at least) and you take on a permanently defensive driving stance basically for life on two wheels or four. The general population is too damn clumsy and/or stupid to have access to these scooters.

I would guess that the mortality rate on these things wasn't at motorcycle levels as you do have your subset of dangerous born to lose morons on sportbikes with a death wish. However, I would almost guarantee, the injury and ER visit rate on these things was astronomically higher.

Last edited by pylon; 12-20-2023 at 06:50 PM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote