View Single Post
Old 12-13-2023, 10:59 PM   #112
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Still waiting for my dad to be placed in dementia care. Waiting and waiting and waiting. Home Care keeps telling me that no space is available in the dementia cottages. I think he'll be moved soon though. He's been in the hospital the last two weeks with kidney disease. It's been up and down but every single nurse and doctor have asked why he wasn't already in dementia care. I told them we're told there is no room but one doctor said that's BS and someone isn't doing their job in helping us out.

He won't go home to the condo though and my mom is happy that she doesn't have to worry about that. She's happy to just come and sit with him and visit.

We ran into the same system and were told that there was a long wait list in the public system. We had mom staying in the hospital for nearly a month, and as much as the nurses and caregivers tried its not a great situation for a person with advanced dementia, and mom had become incredibly volatile. We eventual put mom into a private memory care situation, though its incredibly expensive at about $7k a month. But at least she was being more properly cared for.

I will say that visiting a family member in any kind of memory care is a emotional and jarring situation. There were people with advanced dementia that were screaming and crying all the time and lashing out all the time. And it felt like my mom really degraded faster in there.

Frankly there's not a lot of memory care going on. They try to do stuff like games and such but for the most part they turn on the TV and the residents just sit there for hours and stare blankly at it.

But there were some exceptional care givers. I remember when my mom died, the worker that had spent a lot of time with her, and frankly had seen to worst of mom burst into tears, it was a bit heart breaking.

But no matter what your doctor says, and I'm not arguing, but there are not a lot of private beds for the elderly in the public system and they're flooded with desperate requests because private care is so expensive.

I do know that Staywell has shared public and private facilities in their fish creek center, maybe you can put in a call and at worst get your dad into private temporarily and get him out of the hospital.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote