Old 12-04-2023, 03:37 PM   #111
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Here’s the global LGBT Equality Index:

https://www.equaldex.com/equality-index

You’ll notice Canada (along with a handful of Northern European countries) is way up there in the top-right corner.

Here are the top 10 countries of origin for immigrants to Canada in 2022*:
  1. India
  2. China
  3. Afghanistan
  4. Nigeria
  5. Philippines
  6. France
  7. Pakistan
  8. Iran
  9. United States
  10. Syria

#6 and #9 are somewhat more restrictive of LGBT rights than Canada.

#1, #2, and #5 are far more restrictive.

#3, #4, #7, #8, and #10 are some of the most brutally hostile countries to LGBT identities and behaviours on the planet. There are no gay clubs to close in those countries because it would be unthinkable that they would exist in the first place.

Yes, immigrants to Canada from those countries tend to be more educated and liberal than the population of the source country in general. But most people who immigrate to Canada from Pakistan, Nigeria, and Syria are not tolerant, liberal doctors. As a group they are still far more religiously observant and conservative than native-born Canadians.

It takes wilful ignorance to pretend that large-scale immigration from extremely socially conservative countries has no effect on public attitudes in this country.

*If we included 2023, Ukraine - where attitudes aren’t much difference than in Russia - would be right up there too.
That's great and all but I would wager the largest population of intolerant people in Alberta is still the white male born and raised. We all talk like Alberta is so progressive in it's acceptance, maybe we're all sheltered in our specific friend group that makes us feel that way. Maybe those immigrants are leaving those countries for a reason? They don't hold the same beliefs?