View Single Post
Old 11-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #82
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

When a team is bad, normally fans can start to spin it that we could get a top 5 pick or even a player like Celebrini. The Oilers situation next year is so bad, I don't see any positives out of this.

Leon - no way he is signing next summer if they miss the playoffs.
UFAs - I don't see any of them getting much even with salary retained if they sold at the deadline.
Bouchard - is actually putting up huge points and will need a new contract soon.
Goalies - both signed for years.
Cap - even if the sell and fix the Brown bonus issue, they have 13 guys signed and about $14mil to spend. I could see them buying out Campbell to help but that is a mistake IMO.
Prospects - Holloway with another significant injury. Bourgault has 5 points in 11 games in the AHL. Broberg has shown nothing. No help coming outside if they get a top pick.
Age - start of next year Kane 33, Hyman 32, Nuge 31, Ekholm 34, Leon 29, Nurse 29. McDavid 27, Ryan 37, Ceci 30, Kulak 30. This group is going to be very old and likely will need to add cheap vets over 30 to fill out roster.

Then....McDavid is eligible to resign. Why would he stay on a team full of cap issues, guys in their mid 30s and no prospect coming. There will be teams lining up for him.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote