View Single Post
Old 11-07-2023, 09:01 AM   #227
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
100%. What motivates me consistently is four things:
  • I pay for a gym membership, so I use it to get my money's worth.
  • I like being around like-minded people; the environment and visuals of other people dedicating themselves to fitness motivates me.
  • I had a trainer once, so I have seen that results are absolutely possible if you dedicate yourself.
  • Once you're in that rhythm after a couple weeks, the training 'high', the mental clarity, the increased energy and the physical change to you body becomes addictive.
That last bullet is probably the most important. It's like a car in motion - takes a lot of energy to start and build momentum, but once you're cruising at a high speed, it gets easier and more efficient and the results come quickly.
I was the opposite. Unlimited gym uses for 12 months and I went a total of like 20 times in a year. I had some sort of nagging yips like injury and it was part of the reason why I made an excuse not to go.

Getting into the right zone for another activity and then adding the gym to it, I went 30 times in 45 days. But this one is also a little weird. I also signed up to a gym that conveniently nearby and was open 24 hours. I'd often go if I was having trouble sleeping and it felt really good to go at the dead of night. It definitely helped me to go to sleep.

I don't go to the gym anymore. I'm just more into the calisthenics/yoga type activities and outdoor or sports activities than weights and machines. That's the stuff that interests me and allows me to continue on. It's always funny and stupid to do "kid yoga" on Youtube and use that as a warm up with my kids before putting them to bed.

The day I can no longer lift and carry my kids on my shoulders for 15-20+ minutes at a time, I'll be very sad.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote