View Single Post
Old 10-31-2023, 01:41 PM   #176
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah, I agree with what you're saying.

It's funny because Chuck continued to be the real villain in this show. I mean throughout it, he's probably the most unethical prosecutor in the 50 states. Was there anything really illegal or criminal in Mike Prince's process?

I mean sure he bribed the Olympic committee to bring the Olympics to New York, but is that even a crime anymore?

There might have been money that was nebulous, but it was never clear that he got it through nefarious means.

He spent the last season making sure his trades were ethical trades.

It never felt like Chuck had any kind of real criminal case against Prince like he did against Bobby.

Instead this was and its why I found Chuck to be an unbearable character, grrrr billionaires bad, blargy blargy, meanwhile Chuck is a man with means and is the ultimate expression of old money.

In terms of the mechanics of the end, it got a lot better after being kind of meh and long on exposition over the last couple of seasons. But in the end the final resolution was kind of rushed, and then the final 20 minutes with the characters going , your actually a good guy, no your a good guy, no no your a good guy.

Meanwhile Bobby who had actually been a criminal and a fugitive fleeing justice. Is allowed to continue to trade and do business, and even his lines to Taylor about doing vicious things. And lets make some "Funking" money is kind of hilarious.

Mike Prince having been screwed over by a bunch of ethically challenged rebels is the only one that's really left with some dignity. But the wrong guy got destroyed.

I mean frankly even Prince's answer to the nuclear option, saying, yeah in the right situation I would fire off those bad boys, is the right answer for a person that wants to take on the ultimate responsibility of things.

I guess what I'm trying to say is even though the actor who played Prince was really good, the premise of his villany was pretty weak.
I'll still say I generally liked the season and ending. But, yeah, I can't help thinking I'd take Prince over Trump as president in a second, so it was a hard sell to see how horrible Prince as president would be. Also, like the season about the Olympics, both the presidency and Olympics have lost so much cachet recently that its hard to envision them as big prizes to real billionaires.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote