View Single Post
Old 10-30-2023, 02:43 PM   #203
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I do a little bit of weights as well, and I've worked in some ab workouts. I also alternate onto my spin bike (or real bike in the summer) for cardio variety.

Cardio gets a bad rep because it's hard and boring and you're not building up huge muscles to impress people with. There's no breaks, there's no glamour, it's just you against yourself sweating your ass off. But that's why it's the best to actually shed weight too.
Cardio is great, I'm not trying to give it a bad rep.
But it's simple science.

A 30-40 minute jog is going to burn around 300-400 calories. Assuming a person has their diet in check, they will lose weight doing this.
But if their diet isn't perfect, it's easy to out eat away that deficit.

Resistance training for an hour will burn around 200-250 calories, but also add muscle mass and prolonged thermogenic effects that keep you burning more calories for up to 48 hours afterwards.
Plus additional muscle mass will increase your basal metabolic rate enabling you to burn more calories just be existing each day. The more muscle mass you have, the more you will burn each day.

While losing weight by only doing cardio, your basal metabolic rate drops as you get smaller, so you have to eat less and less to continue getting a calorie deficit.

If you're coming from an obese starting point, I totally see where you're coming from and good for you for having success.
But it's not a one shoe fits all approach and given what that poster was asking, it might not be the right approach for them.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post: