View Single Post
Old 09-27-2023, 12:37 PM   #10032
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't understand how it could be done in 8-10 minutes on a tire let alone a set of tires. Are we talking about complete removal or just larger stones? There can be hundreds of little chips embedded in the tight tread lines of a single winter tire and you can't simply spin the tire and use a pick to remove them. Maybe a steel brush can get a lot out while the tire is spinning or there's some fancy process I've never heard of as this is all new to me that you can remove all the stones in a winter tire this quickly and easily.
Tire tread could contribute as well, yes the tire was on something that allowed it to spin. I remember the tire was on its side when it turned. I don't recall if it was complete removal, but it certainly was quite clean.

It was also an all weather tire, so I believe it had very few of those squiggly treads. It was majority straight and angled lines. I think if you had a really bad tire with a ton of embedded stones that it could indeed take over 5-10 minutes to do.

IIRC, it was air compressor and spin tire a few rotations, for a few seconds.
Then the hooked pick in a tire groove for full rotation, then next groove etc. until none of the vertical grooves remained. 10-20 seconds per rotation or so?
Then the pick on the angled grooves.

I think there was the occasional rock left after it was done, but the main ones he wanted out were dealt with. Basically he just ran a 45 degree pick through the grooves with the tire slowly rotating away from him and the stones typically popped out with ease. If it snagged slightly, he'd slow the tire, give it a quick tug and have the tire start rotating again slowly. IIRC, a nail in the tire was also removed in this manner, but it wasn't the spot where the air was leaking.

EDIT: It looked something kinda like this without being as fake, but a removed tire on a rotating platform. He also just yanked the tool right through the straight line of vertical and angled grooves and didn't stop to focus on individual rocks like many other videos seem to do.

EDIT 2: Closer to something like this but tire rotates to do next section when done. 45 degree pick allowed pick to be yanked through tread vs having to reset after each stone like this clip.

Last edited by DoubleF; 09-27-2023 at 12:51 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote