View Single Post
Old 08-23-2023, 03:46 PM   #39
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Isn't one of the tricks to dehydrate the meat prior to making the sausage? Like, the "dry age in fridge for a few days to make it taste better" trick actually is a form of dehydrating?

Would mincing the meat and let it dehydrate or dry in your fridge a day or two before stuffing accomplish what you're trying to do?

I seem to recall reading stuff about this when reading up about how to make Mennonite sausage (which specifically insists on using cold meat in some recipes) and I thought how strangely it sounded like aging your steak in your fridge for a few days. I started realizing that some of the tricks for "multi-day" prep had more importance than some people realized. People seemed to understand that there was improvement, but many rarely seemed to explain why and often they'd write it off as something along the lines of, "Doing it the long way definitely tasted better, but this way was good enough."
If you mince and leave it out, you're substantially increasing the risk of spoiling.

You should be able to dry the meat out after it's been sausaged just by hanging it. It'll dry through the casing.

Most commercial peperoni probably isn't dry, because:
a. it takes time/effort to dry
b. dried meat weighs less and peperoni is sold by weight. They want to sell you water.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote