View Single Post
Old 06-15-2023, 04:21 PM   #2100
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
So you want everyone selling you something to have multiple degrees?

You sound like someone who's really bitter or jealous.

I know a lot of guys making considerably more than the Engineers with masters degrees I know selling MRO stuff to Industrial companies withzero education. People who generate sales get paid.

It's a sales business and I think it's pretty competitive internally. I think it's actually quite risky as getting the license is one thing. Making enough to stay at it is another. In order to be in it for sometime there's a good chance that person has learned a lot of that stuff in some capacity. If they oversell themselves as an expert of all of this...they won't be around the business very long.

Most anyone can list their own house or attempt to buy a property without a realtor if you really want. You can even pick a lower fee structure if you just want to get your house listed in the MLS system. What the seller pays for is the marketing of the property. You want to do your own marketing to sell your place have at it
You're kind of conflating two different points I was making; one point was, yes, plenty of salespeople are compensated at higher rates than realtors... Your MRO sales guy vs the engineer, for example.

But the other point is that a lot of other salespeople have more training (degrees, accreditation, what have you), more accountability, or often both. An investment advisor that consistently loses their clients money will either be fired by their firm, or if an independent, unable to demonstrate a track record to attract new clients. That's not really the case with a realtor, particularly in the case of them providing bad advice to their clients.

Back to your example about the guy sells MRO... The main difference between a realtor and this guy is that the company he sells for acts as a gatekeeper to ensure certain standards are met and the company is represented in a positive way. Regardless of education, that company isn't just letting anyone run wild with their product... That would be disastrous for the company's image.

Whereas, the real estate agency model is set up to encourage as many people as possible to become realtors, regardless of their ability, so that they pay desk fees to the agency... What's the stat? Something like 5% of agents are responsible for 90% of deals?

The real problem is that this cavalier attitude is applied to a role that's been inserted into the biggest transaction of most people's lives... On that basis alone, the industry and the individual realtors in particular should be held to a standard equivalent to the significance of the transaction they're involved in.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post: