View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 12:04 PM   #79
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I actually wasn't going to comment, but posts such as yours really bug me. I find it interesting that you're trying to group, ridicule, and stereotype all the people that object your opinion. The other opinion has merit too, and I will try to share some of it.

First of all, I have a firm believe that all people regardless of sexual orientation should have the same rights. That includes public displays of affection, marriage, participation in sports, the ability to have children, and all aspects of life.

I think that most of the people that are objecting pride parades and pride nights do it from a fear of reverse discrimination. For example, they don't want to lose out on a job just because they're straight. How in your mind would a Flames Straight Night be received? I'm pretty sure that there would be quite a few people unhappy with that notion, because it's not inclusive, not for everyone etc. Okay, you can argue that every regular night is a Straight Night because that's the majority, but here we are trying to include everyone and so it doesn't really convey the idea that your rights shouldn't be infringed upon just because you're straight.

The thing that I in particular oppose is the participation of transgender athletes in women sports. It's not that I think they should be excluded from sports, but they gain an unfair advantage, and should have their own division. Here I'm of the opinion that athletes are very competitive, and there will be individuals that will undergo a sex change just so they could get an advantage. The same argument applies to sending a trans woman that's guilty of rape to a women prison. I also think that women washrooms should be off limits to anyone but women, because it can make women feel unsafe. Those are real issues that society needs to find solutions to, and blindly supporting equality doesn't address them.

Finally, I hope that each individual would be able to be comfortable by being who he/she really is. I hope that someone who's gay wouldn't have to hide it, and pretend he/she's straight. I also hope that straight individuals wouldn't want to pretend they're gay or undergo a sex change just in order to feel more special, be more easily included in society, or have an unfair advantage.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post: