View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 10:10 PM   #1037
b1crunch
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
People retiring at retirement age doesn't seem that surprising to me. Especially from a job where you get 80% of your top salary until the day you die. You'd be nuts to not retire.

Are you at retirement age? If so, go for it and enjoy your life. You'll never have to worry about putting food on the table or gas in your tank with that guaranteed pension. No point in labouring if you don't need to.
Agreed. But teachers in Alberta can retire as early as 55. LOTS of teachers work well into their 60s. Two of these Three retired right at 55 after expressing they'd like to stick around to 60. The other one quit at 54 and cashed out his pension as a lump sum instead of taking it as a pension. All three of the time cited the pandemic as reasons for leaving. The guy who quit at 54 was a full-on Qanon guy (He had a Qanon sticker on the back of his truck) and resented all of the restrictions, so he quit as a kind of protest. The other two retired earlyish because they were burned out with the job during the pandemic (the online/in-school transitions wore on people) so they decided to cash out early.

I'm 40, so I'm not anywhere near retirement age, but I needed a break.
b1crunch is offline   Reply With Quote