View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 08:43 AM   #2002
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1crunch View Post
So what's the equal term for the right? Is it "far-right"? Why don't we just use "far-left" then?

Sometimes it feels like some people in our society enjoy using terms like woke in a way that is meant to be demeaning, and not necessarily because they are trying to have an honest and open dialogue. People also use all sorts of ridiculous words to refer to people on the far-right. Besides that, I disagree that "woke" is an appropriate synonym for people on the far left of the spectrum, and certainly not all people who consider themselves progressive. Some people, maybe, but as a "catch-all" its ridiculous.

Which is why the new leader of a major political party using the terms "woke" and "radical" for the Liberals and NDP is so disappointing. Instead of PP coming across as being open to a dialogue about what he feels is best for the country, it instead feels like he's trying to win some points with people who will love hearing that. And his actions, will only cause more people to use the terms as a way to win some perceived political points in our society. It definitely comes across as labeling the "other" as some sort of boogeyman rather than mature political discourse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJaa...b_channel=CP24

PP refers to Liberal partnership with NDP as "radical, woke coalition with the NDP"

Would you agree with PP that the NDP and Liberals are the "illiberal" left? Because you just used the word woke as a synonym for illiberal, and yet its being thrown around like candy by PP. I consider labeling anyone as illiberal to be a serious charge on their character, and wouldn't misuse the term for my own political gain, but that appear to be what he's doing.

I guess my last question, is PP advancing or harming political discourse in this country when he says things like this?
Anyone who uses the term "woke" in a non-ironic way is not interested in actual discussion, and isn't a person to be taken seriously.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: