View Single Post
Old 09-02-2022, 10:19 AM   #10
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'm gonna give this a whirl tonight. I want it to be good, but I just don't see how they can make it good by diverging so much from the source material, and what appears to be diversity for the sake of diversity.

I'm all for diversity, but forcing it takes away from the story IMO.

Will still watch with an open mind. After all, they spent a billion bucks on this sucker.
I don't understand why you have diversity as a potential negative and why it would take away from the story.

I think it's a positive. here's a good piece on it that was written before the release.

https://gamerant.com/lotr-rings-of-p...ity-important/

The fans that are opposed to the addition of diversity, whatever their argument may be, are completely dismissing the perspective of entire groups of people. Many of the individuals that are passionate followers of Tolkien’s works and the recreations made of them, have been fans of the stories for years- maybe even their whole lives. For those people, Tolkien’s worlds were a unique and immersive experience that inspired the reader to be courageous. In most cases, they even had a character, or multiple, that they connected to and saw themselves in, but being an almost entirely white cast, this was an experience that in many ways, only white viewers could have.

By making some of the prominent and respectable characters of the world people of color, or by fleshing out the story arcs of a few female characters, the Rings of Power writers made the world more accessible to a broader audience. Now, a whole new generation of young people, at a greater number, can watch this series and see themselves in the characters. That is the purpose of diversity in film, so that the immersive, connecting effect of the characters is not reserved for only one group of people.

Tolkien wrote a story that was relevant to his time period and that’s no different from what the Rings of Power creators are doing now.

Writing in any genre requires that the writer know who their audience is going to be so that they can write to the standards of that group of people. This is exactly what the writers of the Rings of Power did by trying to create a telling of a classic tale for a modern world. They knew that their audience was diverse and so the content needed to be as well. This is a very important factor in writing adaptations, especially with a story this old.

Also, it’s important in adaptations that changes made to the content do not take away from the story, but add to it. So far, the changes that the Rings of Power have made seem to abide by this but that cannot be said for certain until the series is released.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post: