View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 07:52 PM   #1021
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
If you hire someone who is over qualified for your position it’s likely they will continue to look for something else. There’s risks on the hiring side to get someone like that. No reflection at all IMO.
I haven't been in this position as a hiring manager, but my thoughts would be to still interview them.

Ask them in the interview why they want the position. It could be they want a change of pace, they want a change of direction, perhaps location means more than money?

I'd also ask myself if they are there just temporarily, would having them and their skillset in my organization, even if only for a short time, make those around them better? Would (pulling a number out of the air here) 6 months of the over qualified employee, help raise the level and skillset of those around them? Are the other employees better for having worked with them?

Obivously there's a cost/benefit of having to re-hire at some point in the near future (potentially). But *do* the analysis, don't assume because it's a potenital quick turn around that it wouldn't be worth it.

I do note, there is a subset of the work force (I'd consider myself in this) that aren't good at looking for work. The employee that when given a chance excels beyond expectations, but for one reason or another can't demonstrate that at the job search phase.

Could be imposter syndrome, could be they don't want to be seen as bullcrapping, could be that their perceived value is below your perceived value.

Heck, some people want to be a big fish in a small pond.

A guy I used to know from my undergrad days, went on to U of T law, became an associate at a big New York lawfirm. Woke up one morning and said "yeah, I don't want this" and now coaches public speaking.

My brother has a BA and BSW, and runs a small catering company in rural New Brunswick.

Why would someone 'overqualified' apply for a position with your company? Have a conversation and find out. Not everyone wants to be CEO, or a manager. Some people might just really enjoy a niche, and would be happier doing that than "succeeding" aka moving up the corporate ladder.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post: