View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 02:20 AM   #45
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Inner city living in Calgary for families is tough. The people talking about long commutes in Vancouver almost certainly moved out to have more space for kids. You can definitely avoid longer commutes in Calgary if you live on a more expensive area close to the core. However, overall Calgary is a car city, and pretending that long commutes aren't part of the package is disingenuous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
A major reason I left Calgary was the commuting. I lived in Sundance. So getting anywhere in rush hour was awful. Meeting friends who lived in the north was crazy. Getting drinks was even more difficult, as decent bars and restaurants were a massive cab ride away. Pre-uber the can system was almost unusable.

In Vancouver I'm a half hour bus ride from downtown. Can walk to bars, and the good ones are only a $10-15 Uber ride away. Theoretically I could bike to work in under twenty minutes.
You know what’s disingenuous? Implying your move from Calgary to Vancouver, was the same distance from downtown, with similar housing.

Same house in Sundance, inner city (elbow park etc), would be 2x.
($700k to $1.4m)

So you acquired essentially that (1:1) if you’re a 30min bus ride from DT Van.

And your friends seem like they’re closer to you in Van, as driving from deep SE Calgary to the north is akin to North Van to White Rock.
Similar distances, and times to drive, if traffic didn’t exist.
With traffic, maybe bit longer in Calgary (ring road), vs at least twice as long in LML.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post: