View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM   #326
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Random Stranger-Things-related thought:

I noticed a Jeep Cherokee in the background of a scene in the first or second episode. The Cherokee was in production from model year '84 through 2001, and there are subtle visual differences between "early" ('84-'86) ones built by AMC, ones thereafter ('87-'96) built by Chrysler, and the last few years of production after a "refresh" for the '97 model year. Film and TV productions often #### this up. E.g. Cast Away, the movie starring Tom Hanks, had Hanks' character driving a Cherokee, which Helen Hunt's character kept around for the years after he went missing and returned to him in the dénouement. He went missing in 1995 so it should have been a '95 model at the newest, but it was clearly a '97 or later.

Stranger Things actually got this right! It's set in '86, and they had an '84-'86 Cherokee in the background. The badging on the tailgate gave it away. The '84-'86s were available with the 2.8 L Chevy V6 as an option and had a "V6 2.8 L" badge on the bottom left of the tailgate when so equipped. At the bottom right was a "Jeep" badge, with "Cherokee" centered above the licence plate:

Spoiler!

After '86 the V6 was no longer available, replaced by AMC's own 4.0 L straight-six; the badge at the bottom left read "4.0 Litre". The "Jeep" and "Cherokee" badges also swapped position, with "Jeep" in the centre and "Cherokee" at the bottom right:

Spoiler!

I'm impressed they got this minute, unimportant detail correct.

EDIT: Oh, it's not just a background vehicle, it's the ######y jock's car! (Just watched episode 3)
Dude. I looked up the same vehicle. Pressed pause and everything and my whole family was yelling at me. I thought I was going to bust them on having a vehicle wrong, but sure as #### they were right.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: