View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #212
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
No if you're second you win $2,000.

Let's say the category is Nuclear Physics.

Well I know sweet bugger all about that. If I was in second should I risk it all in hopes that I luck into the right answer? Or, bet little to none, hope that the person in first wagers a ton and gets it wrong?

I don't actually know the 'correct' strategy there. Mind you when I play the Jeopardy app on my phone, unless I'm in a runaway position I bet it all everytime.
In this specific scenario, where second place had exactly half of what first place had and didn't have third place covered, you would have to bet it all as the second place player.

If you had third place covered and it wasn't a strong subject for you, you might consider ensuring a second place finish, but I still think you have to go for the win. The difference between second and third is only $1,000. The difference between first and second was over $18,000 in this case (plus a chance to come back and play again).

Also, if you go down swinging, you can be satisfied that you tried your best; but if you get it right and first place gets it wrong, you'll be kicking yourself for the rest of your life if you didn't go for the win.