View Single Post
Old 03-30-2022, 09:36 AM   #3630
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
My wife and I took our son downtown to see the new library and walk around last weekend, we decided to take the LRT down because my kid is fascinated with trains.... what a mistake that was.

Arrived at heritage station and the first thing we saw was a guy in one of the shelters smoking meth with no shoes on, there was fentanyl zombies on the actual train and just a general sense of what I can only describe as uneasiness on the train for everyone who wasn't high on drugs.

It was eye opening as I haven't taken transit in years... downtown on the weekend wasn't too #### hot either.
I expect your experience with the C-Train was pretty typical. And I expect that sort of discretionary, non-commuting trip to plummet (or never recover from the pandemic plummet). So remove most white-collar downtown commuters and most discretionary leisure trips from the ridership, and you’re left with low-wage retail workers, cleaners, etc, with no choice, a few students, and bad actors. Is that enough to sustain a healthy transit budget?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote