View Single Post
Old 01-31-2022, 10:03 AM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

U of C can be an awfully unfocused place for someone without a strong social network and a determined game plan. It's a commuter school and very emotionally isolating for kids who may not yet be ready for the full experience.

I echo the comments by other posters recommending he try some work experience for a year just to mature into taking responsibility for himself as I also think I went to U of C too early and I was just completely lost.

U of C also gives a broader education in all the different options you can take, but I find for those with learning issues, that it further confuses and dilutes the young student.

"Computer career" is an extremely broad subject and I think the key is to evaluate what his strengths are. If you think he has a talent for coding and want to push him into the developer route, ensure he has a strong math background as failing a few calculus courses can quickly get him kicked out of his program (as I found).

The other perfectly valid direction is more operational IT like networks, security, cloud infrastructure, etc. and that's where SAIT would be the better place for it and that path can also be extremely prosperous.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote