View Single Post
Old 12-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #15
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Well the Wyze bulbs remember whatever settings they were configured with if they lose power, so if it was on and red at the time someone flipped a switch, it will return to that state when the switch is flipped back on. That way they work just like dumb bulbs that you can specify the colors for

I went a step further in my config though. I run Home Assistant and I replaced the light switch that controls my outside sockets with a Z-Wave switch, and I configured the switch to control the bulbs through HA. So the bulbs never lose power, all my auto on and off automations work, and the switch can still turn them on and off
Yeah, your setup is essentially what I was getting at without having to get into HA, Z Wave dongles etc. Control is at the switch and fortunately Wyze bulbs return to their previous state when powered on. Not all smart bulbs do this. Even Hue bulbs used to turn on default full brightness white after the power was cut so it was a constant open the app adjust the bulb when someone messed with the switch. If there was a power failure in the middle of the night, all the lights used to turn on full brightness when the power came back.

I have outdoor potlights and too wanted coloured lights. I have a Zwave switch and the outdoor lights come on at sunset -25 mins and off at 11:00 and between 11:01 and sunrise on again if there is motion on the Ring doorbell to scare away Wet Bandit types.

I bought some theater lighting colour gells that I cut into circles and tape over the potlight lenses. Red and green for Christmas, purple for Halloween, green for St Paddy's day....

The terms Smart and Smarthome are challenging. An app enabled bulb that can be controlled by your phone and or voice doesn't make ones house any smarter, it just adds functionality. Adding automations to have it turn on and off makes it smart but if you have to add limitations like taping over a switch or beating a family member when they use the switch limits the usefulness.

I always look for the simplest automation solution for a problem and a lot of the time it doesn't need to be a web enabled thing. My son always left our powder room light on. I replaced the dumb switch with a dumb switch with a motion sensor and timer. I could have added a z wave switch, and a zigbee motion sensor and automated it with SmartThings or a HUE bulb and HUE motion sensor and set up rules in the HUE app. I added these motion switches to all the rooms we go in and always turn on the light. Walk in closet, laundry room, mud room...

The biggest challenge of the Smarthome is balancing doing something cool and spousal acceptance. You cant add functionality while limiting or changing normal everyday usability or habits. My wife and I still almost come to blows over our Z Wave blinds.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote