Thread: Golf!!!2!
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2021, 11:38 PM   #4783
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I commend you on your diligence in mastering those shots. As to the article, you are also talking about the best players in the world who spend three quarters of their practice session working on short game. Amateurs do not have the highly developed feel game these guys have. Most amateurs rarely practice their short game, let alone hitting quarter, half, or three quarter shots. I get the principle, but application is another thing. Most players struggle with hitting full shots, so suggesting they play to the weakest part of their game, and then try to master the half shot doesn't make sense. Play to your strengths and you'll lower your scores quicker and have more fun on the course.
What the article shows is that whether you shoot 70, 80, 90, or 100, you hit it dramatically closer to the hole when you are closer to the hole. If you are a recreational golfer, with an 18 handicap, you hit it nearer the hole from 75 yards, than you do from 125 yards. This is based purely on math. Look at the chart and look at the proximities from the hole. It’s actually wider in variance than with a high handicapper than it is with a pro. The simple math, per the article and others like it, is golfers of all levels hit it closer to the pin when they are closer to the pin. There are several studies in recent years that back this up. If you have an issue with the math or how they calculate it, go after the article and/or conduct your own study. What people think are their strengths (hitting a full shot from 125) may actually be detecting from their game and it could be the reason they are shooting higher scores. Again, it feels counter intuitive to what we’ve been taught over the last 400 years, but the math is showing that you score lower on the golf course when your approach shots are closer to the pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post: