Thread: Golf!!!2!
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2021, 07:42 PM   #4782
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I have spent a lot of the last two months learning to hit 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4 shots. Most of my practice and warm up is with the smaller swings, and gradually lengthening them. It helps me get my tempo right and it makes my transition to the downswing smoother. It has really helped on the course when I get to the in between shots (over swing an 8 iron or hit an easy 7 iron) or get too close to the green for a full shot (e.g. 60 yards).

While watching golf on TV one day they were talking about laying up and/or hitting it to a shorter distance to leave a full club in. The commentators said the math does not favour laying up.

Here's an article from GolfTec. https://golf.com/instruction/two-charts-lay-up-golftec/

The big takeaway for me was that PGA players make 10% more putts, on average, for every one foot closer they are to the hole inside eight feet. The closer you are to the hole, the more likely you are to sink your putt. Pros (obviously I am not one) hit it one foot closer to the hole from 50 yards than they do from 75 yards. This distance to the hole gets wider the larger the handicap and the further out the person is. A mid 90s player might think they like hitting it to 125, but they actually hit it closer to the hole from 100. They hit it substantially closer to the hole when they are 75 yards out.

From the link:

I have read a few of these type of articles. The math overwhelming says to hit it further down the fairway instead of the laying up, regardless of your skill level. To clarify, this does not mean to hit it further when there are bunkers, water hazards, trees, a herd of wolves, etc. in a certain area of the hole. Those you need to avoid, so it may make sense to lay up if you can't get over the water in one stroke.

Do I follow this advice all the time? Of course not. Sometimes it just feels right to hit a hybrid off the tee on a par 5 to make sure I can keep it in bounds. Am I going for it more? I am, and a lot of it is coming from the confidence I have in hitting chips, pitches, and 3/4 shots, as well as knowing I can get it out of the bunker.
What those numbers don't factor is what happens when you hit it into a bunker, or into the deep rough or whatever. I mean sure, if you can keep in the fairway all the time, then great. But I would MUCH rather be 100 yards out in the fairway, than 40 or 50 yards out in the rough or in a bunker. From the fairway, and less than 150 yards out, I am probably making par. Put me in the ####, and not only am I probably not making par, but it introduces the chance of a double, as well.

At the end of the day though, you have to play to your strengths, and manage the course and your game to maximize your likelihood of success. That is what all of these conversations we've been having have been about. Figure out your strengths and the best way for you to be successful, and then manage to that.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote