Old 03-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Thank you all.

This has given me some stuff to chew.

She is doing a BSc, so yeah, I actually don't know the strain that will be put on her laptop, but her plan is an after grad degree as well.

Is it even possible to get a laptop/chomebook that lasts 6 years?
I take care of my laptops and the shortest I've ever owned a laptop was like 6 years. And that's because I ended up doing a clean install on it, swapping a small SSD into it to basically be a net book and trading it to a friend for a bottle of spirits. All of my laptops I ever owned in the last 15 years were business grade laptops/business grade ultraportables. I don't believe I ever paid more than $1100 on a laptop. $1300 if I include the price of a SSD upgrade.

Business grade laptops are designed to easily hit the 4-5 years+ range as businesses don't like hardware failing on them. Commercial grade perhaps last 2-3 but you can stretch that for sure if you take care of it.

IMO, Apple laptops are designed like business grade laptops which is why many using Apple often brag that their laptops last longer. Comparing the business grade window offerings of the same price, the laptops generally do indeed have a life span on par with the Apple offerings.

A huge difference is the heat resistance and dissipation on laptops. Heat kills tech. There's still laptops these days that can get warm, sure. But gone are the days of laptops that basically got hot enough to burn you if exposed to bare skin. Laptops like that only lasted like 1-3 years. Modern ones aren't like that any more.

Someone mentioned a headset for the laptop due to more online calls/meetings etc. That's a good idea.

Another good idea is a portable USB monitor. If you get your daughter a 13.3" sized laptop, but also this 15.6" screen, it's the best of both worlds for size/weight/portability/viewability and it's only around $250 for the portable screen.

https://www.amazon.ca/Portable-Zissu...5333001&sr=8-6

Something like this is nice for dual screen, watching videos and it's portable. It might even get better use than having a large monitor or a projector to be attached to a laptop.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote