View Single Post
Old 12-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #1381
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm counter, I love the concept of the mirror universe. Not from the standpoint of people are their opposites, but from the standpoint of what is the worst case scenario of all.

That's why it worked with Enterprise and DS9 and TOS. The question is always to me, what's that one event that made humanity into a brutal empire, instead of a Federation. We get hints at it in some of the books, where in one case after the eugenics wars with Khan, when humanity rose up against the Superbeings, that humanity vowed that it would never be conquered again. Or after the nuclear wars, man became determined to spread the race through the galaxy and not be vulnerable.

There was even one book that had the crew of the Enterprise (Picard) do a compatible history and everything was the same except that one lake never formed and things spiraled after that.

The Empire in TOS and even Enterprise had a certain logic to it, strength, conquest and enslavement in the name of humanity never being weak and conquored resonated. In DS9 we saw what happened in that universe when Spock weakened the Empire through reform and the former slave races, the Cardassians, Klingons and Romulans rose up against the empire and instead of fighting a war of liberation or conquest, they fought a war of outright revenge.

When I was watching the Discovery mirror universe it was simplified, they were brutal and cruel in the name of brutality and cruelty. They acted more like pirates then a militaristic empire based around the examples of Rome and Germany and China. I mean they were literally the borg in TNG when ordered was removed from the Hive, they just flew around killing people and doing stuff for no reason.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: