View Single Post
Old 12-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #888
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Cali, do you drink the scotches neat or with ice/water? One thing I've found with Scotches/bourbon is that the water often just concentrates the flavor, but doesn't really change it.

Japanese whiskeys on the other hand I find there are many that are almost seemingly designed (I don't know if this is the right word) to be slightly diluted. The frustrating part of this though, is that some of these whiskeys completely evolve and are nothing like the original after you add water. By far the most distinct of the Japanese Whiskeys I have run into that do this is Nikka. I'm talking about a whiskey that tastes slight smokey and woody going completely different after a few drops of water and tasting like lilies and seaweed and completely bonkers flavors that I admit I don't like at all (I believe it was Coffey still that did this). However, it's a weird ride that's kinda worth trying out and laughing about later on.

I haven't tried this since last year, but OTOH, with some water:

Hibiki - dried fruit flavors towards fresh fruit and spices.
Yamazaki - deletes sweetness and adds spiciness
Nikka - I can't even describe the internal screaming and confusion I have drinking this stuff diluted. Can range from diluted flavor to totally brand new flavors and sometimes a flavour that feels like it crossed a whiskey flavour chart quadrant.
Helios - Someone poured red bull into my whiskey and dropped a cigarette butt into it, or I ate a Flintstones vitamin and smoked a crappy cigar before drinking whiskey.
Hakushu - dilutes flavor but adds a slight iodine flavor

Consider giving it a try if you want to solidify your opinion of Japanese whiskey being meh. I've determined I enjoy Hibiki and Yamazaki, but I'm quite meh on most of other offerings.

Nikka from the barrel though I will challenge anyone to try a blind taste test with that and Highland park 12 and know which is which without hesitating.

Adding even a drop of water changes the complexion of the quite significantly. While many enjoy that ‘opening up’ it ruins every scotch I’ve tried it with. Literally one drop. Just my preference I guess.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post: