View Single Post
Old 12-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #57
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

These two statements are a bit of a contradiction to me.

Rian Johnson ####ed up this trilogy??? TLJ was the movie that truly explored the relationship between Rey and Kylo which to your point was the emotional heart of this trilogy.

It's TLJ revealing why Kylo turned to the darkside, exploring his relationship with Rey/Luke, and revealing the conflict inside of him, that makes him a redeemable figure in this movie.

I like TFA and TROS because they were both fun movies, full of call backs and fan service. But they really didn't take any time for moments to breathe or to inject a lot of character development (I guess Poe got a bit more of a backstory in this one).

TLJ plot was slower and more plodding, but it's also the only one of the three that really took the time to slow down the pace of the movie to dive into the characters, develop them, and understand their motives.

In the end even though maybe TLJ doesn't feel as much as "Star Wars" as the other movies due to it not having as much direct fan service and nostalgia, the whole trilogy really does tie together and work in large part due to the character development from that movie.
I don't even really care if TLJ felt the least like a Star Wars movie, it was just a bad movie. It's was a structural ####ing mess with large sections of irrelevant plot and really bad attempts at shocking an audience. He can release a trilogy breaking movie and still have positive components however. It's not contradictory because it's not an on/off switch of all good/all bad.

In fairness to him though, if the plan in the first place was for Snoke to be a big bad essentially in place of the Emperor, it was going to be a weak trilogy anyway. It could have just been done without him aiming for subversive over story. Because he sure did that.

In the end, what this comes down to is Disney not having a plan. Marvel movies may be generic action repeats, but at least there was an overall plan. This was just a cynical, directionless cash grab, and it worked. So it'll just keep happening.

Last edited by nik-; 12-20-2019 at 02:14 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: