View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #100
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
So I just got the latest Android update (Pie), and holy hell I wish Google would just leave the UI alone. Every time they update something, I spend days trying to revert or remove parts all together. They need to put in options to switch things around or something. This updates hit list, in 5 minutes of use:
  • Clock in the notifications panel to left hand instead of right hand side (probably bugs me more than it should)
  • Weather on lock screen (I thought I just disabled all of those damned things)
  • Horizontal scrolling app switcher (ugh)
  • Volume control is a pain in the ass to use (used to be an overlay, now it goes to a new window if you want to change volumes that aren't the current one, which I frequently do)
  • Some of the button/icon colour changes (notification overlay thingy) are worse to look at
  • Seems a bit laggy switching apps
I found a reboot after the update was 100% finished (it does some more stuff after you restart the phone the first time) helped with the general feeling of lag in the UI after updating to Pie. For my personal usage cases after a week of using Pie, I love the volume bar change (having to guess when I could change app volume vs system volume sucked), I hate the app switcher change, and I've already gotten used to the Clock position change. I found I was unlocking my Pixel 2 to see the temperature on the home screen a lot anyways, so I welcome the addition of the weather on the lock screen.

My "shouldn't bother me but it does" gripe is how notifications (ie. if I get a text message and it shows me the text in a preview box) "float" near the top of the screen but not against the top of the screen. I assume this is also because they changed the UI to account for phones with notches at the top. I don't like it because it feels weird and more intrusive than before to me.

I'm glad it's easy to turn off the new bottom bar/pill thing and go back to the standard Back/Home/App Switcher buttons.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote