View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 06:00 AM   #64
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
I personally want to pay for a two week party out of my taxes. At least for once I get to see the money at work being spent on something tangible rather than on a study of genetically modifying chickens to a color like pink. World class sporting venues are never a bad thing. I'm guessing the city made a pretty good haul on the Saddledome since 1984.
Yeah, it's hard to think of a better way to spend public money than on a $100 million ski jump that a handful of rich kids will use a few times a year. Especially in a place like Calgary, that has far more schools and hospitals than it needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Some of you are those cheap asses that Penny pinch and save all your lives only to die with a million dollars in the bank.

Live a little...
A better analogy is a Calgary family that's 600k in debt, living in a house with a 27 year old furnace and a 30 year old roof with the shingles peeling off, deciding to put in an outdoor, in-ground swimming pool that they'll use a few weeks a year. Live a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Is there anyone who has a bad thing to say about the 88 Olympics?

I remember the same complaining about it before the bid. Waste of money, it will bankrupt us, no long-term jobs (not like the energy sector, right?), vanity project for politicians....

I don't see any difference today.
You mean aside from the exponentially higher cost of putting on an Olympics today?

Cost of the '88 Winter Games: $355 mil US.

Estimated cost of Pyeongchang Olympics when they won the bid: $10 billion. Actual cost: $17 billion.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-30-2018 at 06:14 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: