View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #619
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Have any of you used Tenkara rods? I'm looking at getting back into fly fishing along with my son. Just curious if that would be a good approach for a 7 year old.
I have and they're pretty fun, but be prepared to struggle a little with landing the fish if they're good sized. I know, it sounds like a good problem to have, and it kind of is. But whatever you have out is staying out, so I find it a little tricky. They're sweet because you can collapse them and throw them in a backpack or whatever easily though.

For my kids I generally give them 5/6 weight rods and reels, and then have tippet strong enough so that the fly isn't off in the trees or whatever all the time. I do think that for kids dry fly fishing for small trout is just the best. They get so excited seeing the take, and sure, sometimes they yank the fish straight out. Sometimes they don't even notice the take and you really need to coach them. It's so fun though! I often just walk along and don't even fish because I like seeing the kids help them landing fish or giving a few pointers here and there.

I also recommend taking your 7 year old somewhere where casting isn't going to be super necessary. A small stream where they can kind of roll the fly out and see what's going on. Sure, the fish won't be huge, but that's hardly the point.

Just thinking of this is making me wish it was summer already!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: